Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Walk to Remember...


Oh, I love that movie...I mean come on if you are a chic and you haven't seen that "flick" then you should be ashamed...Go rent it!! I love it!..But this isn't about the movie, or Mandy Moore...
It's about the walk that we(my family) participated in last weekend...ok, well maybe it was the 26th, not LAST weekend so anyway.. We participated in the 9th Annual Spina Bifida Walk and Roll! It is a way that we raise money for our local SB chapter. We have started to get involved in the young families support group and it is so nice getting to know families who actually understand the things our children are going through and us as parents as well. If you don't know, my daughter Lo was born with Myelomeningocele, the severest form of SB(there are 3 types) So it is very important to us to help other families dealing with this life, and also get help ourselves. Anywho...SO this is our big fundraiser and all the money goes to our local chapter and supports our kids. It helps fund camps and many other things!!


I had a goal to raise 1k for our 1st year participating, and I almost did it! I think we raised 980.00! I was very pleased!! It was actually amazing to see the generosity of so many folks! My hubby's work really came through with a lot of the money! It's funny while you are doing one of these things, I find that people with no money to give, are the ones doing the giving...kind of says something about people and our humanity!
They day was a little drizzly and humid! Logan did awesome!! She probably walked about a mile in her walker. It was so cute too, when she got tired she would sit on the back of her walker and Bug would push her...


Afterwards there was a little carnival that the girls enjoyed, and some cotton candy as well!! We were all pooped after it was all said and done. But we raised a total of 80k!!! That's 10k more than last year!!! I think that I will not be doing the March of Dimes walk anymore, and just start focusing on this one!!! So thanks to all our supporters!! We love you all and appreciate your love, kindness, and support!!

There are so many things for us to be involved in....do you donate(you know give of yourself, and not EXPECT anything in return) your time? If so, I would love to hear about it!! Maybe we can raise awareness for different causes! I know that not too many people are familiar with SB, even though it is the #1 birth defect!!!

xoxo
kristan

3 comments:

007jas said...

These pictures are beautiful, Kristan! Brought happy tears to my eyes to see Logan smiling so big! I love them and I can't wait to meet your girls next year!

I'll be happy to support you next year in this walk and, maybe, I'll even be home to walk it with you guys!

We used to do Liver Foundation but, we're going to focus on Donate Life for large-scale fund raising and specific hospitals for volunteering time like Cincinnati Children's and Georgetown University here in DC.

Cortney @ evanhaslanded.com said...

I love "A Walk to Remember" too :-)! I love the pics too! Just a beautiful family! Maybe next year, I'll get my family involved - what a great learning experience for the kiddos!

Vaughn Family Chaos said...

Great job Girlies!!!